Monday, June 4, 2018

THE WRAP UP-- CONCAROLINAS


I was a guest at ConCarolinas in Charlotte, NC this past weekend, June 1 - 3. A literary con, CC brings in fans of books, sci-fi, and fantasy primarily, but I usually do well pushing my books there as well. I arrived Friday evening and set up and did a panel, hung out with some folks, then turned in, ready for a big Saturday. Saturday did not disappoint, although it deep seem to be a smaller crowd than normal. I was on several panels, all of which were a lot of fun. Due to an unforeseen personal issue, I had to leave Saturday night so I missed Sunday at the con.

Due to all of that, I didn't have time to take many photos. Sorry.

Here was my panel schedule:

FRIDAY, JUNE 1
Superheroes have been popular for decades, but society changes and our heroes need to, as well. What do we want from our superheroes now, that might be different from decades ago? How can superhero writers create characters that reflect the diversity of the population? This was a lot of fun. We talked super-heroes from the movies, TV, and comics. Lots of laughs.

SATURDAY, JUNE 2
Come watch our writing teams collaborate on a character and topic the audience throws at them. This type of panel is always a crowd-pleaser. Always fun. The panelists and audience crafted a time travel story from scratch.

The novella fell out of fashion several years back, but is now making a comeback in this time of e-readers and digital publication. Let's explore the benefits and costs off novella writing, and why it is an option novelists should consider. A great discussion on the good, the bad, and the ugly of writing, producing, and reading novellas. There was a lot of good information shared on this one.

How fast do you NEED to release books to make a living? Once upon a time it took years for books to be released, but these days, readers are demanding we write as fast as they can consume. Our panel talks about whether or not you need to release a book every fifteen minutes to make money. This one had my name written all over it. Another great panel on the craft of writing and writer's output.

4:30 pm - Author Reading with Bobby Nash No one actually came for my reading, but I met a nice lady and we talked about writing for 30 minutes so that was good too.

9:00 pm - Off With Her Head!
There’s no way around it – sometimes a character has to die. Should you use poison, a blade, fire? What’s the surest method? How long will it take for him to die? Let’s talk about the nitty-gritty of killing off characters. Because I had to leave early, I missed this panel, which is a shame because I was really looking forward to it.

Thanks for another great year, ConCarolinas.

Bobby



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bobby, I'm so sorry to hear you had to leave early. I hope all is well. ~Jada