Wednesday, June 4, 2014

CELEBRATING 32 YEARS OF "KHANNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!"

Today we celebrate 32 years of screaming, "KHANNNNNNNNNNN!!!"

That's right. Happy Anniversary, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. This is one of my all time favorite movies. If I ever run across it on TV, no matter how many times I've seen it before, I will sit down and watch. It's just that good. Last year, I was able to see it on the big screen for the first time thanks to the Retro Cinema showing at Movie Tavern. I believe they're showing it again this year. I might just have to see it again.



Not only is Wrath of Khan a fun action/adventure movie, it also blends in social allegory, which the original Star Trek TV series did oh so very well. In this case, it's the crew dealing with aging. At the time they were considered a bit too old to be action heroes. After Wrath of Khan, older action heroes were back in fashion. As I begin the countdown to my 43rd birthday (stops, does math, curses-- how the hell am I turning 43?) I see things in this movie a little differently than when I was a kid. Another sign of a good movie. It has layers.


The real trick today is going to be avoiding the temptation to watch the movie and focus on writing. I guess that means I'll spend the day quoting the movie instead.


My favorite line? There are so many good ones in this movie, but this one is one I really like.
"You've managed to kill just about everyone else, but like a poor marksman, you keep missing the target."

My favorite exchange, however, is this one.
McCoy: Where are we going?
Kirk: Where they went.
McCoy: Suppose they went *nowhere*?

Kirk: Then this will be your big chance to get away from it all.

Keep Boldly Going!

Bobby

No comments: