Monday, January 27, 2014

THERE’S GOLD IN THEM THAR HILLS, SHERLOCK!

I was informed recently that I haven’t been talking about the TV, movies, books, etc. that I’ve been enjoying of late so I thought I would toss out a few short reviews of some TV I’ve been enjoying lately. In typing these up I noticed that characters play a big part in the shows I like. Great characters can support the occasional weak story and plot. These are in no particular order and are not all the shows I like or watch, just the first ones that popped into my head.

Klondike
I watched the last episode of the Klondike mini series on Discovery Channel earlier tonight. That was pretty good. I enjoyed it. I love stories with an outdoor setting and the locations shots were gorgeous. Story was a bit disjointed in places, but I liked it.

Sherlock
I enjoyed tonight's episode of Sherlock. I wasn't really digging it at first, but once things started coming together I was hooked. This series has a great cast. Sadly, we only get 3 episodes a season.

Sleepy Hollow
What a difference 11 episodes makes. To say I was less than impressed with this show when it premiered would be an understatement, but Sleepy Hollow managed to surprise me. Episodes 1 and 2 were enough to make me want to delete it from my DVR schedule, but I try to give shows at least 4 episodes and boy am I glad I did. This has turned into a really fun show. The plots are often thin, but the likeability and charm of the two leads have won me over. I really enjoyed the season ending cliffhanger and twist, even though I saw part of it coming (I mentioned thin plots, right?). I’m ready for season 2 in the fall.

The Black List
I love this show. As with Sleepy Hollow, sometimes the plots are a bit thin, but James Spader’s charisma and charm more than carries the show. Adding the fantastic Alan Alda to the cast as a recurring character is just icing on the cake.

Castle
Like The Black List, Castle is another Monday night powerhouse. I’ve been a fan since the show started and I still love watching. The characters are engaging and the stories are fun. Sometimes I enjoy the camaraderie and interaction between the characters more than the mystery, but they’re entertaining enough to keep my attention.

Intelligence
Talk about a show in the WRONG timeslot. Going up against Castle and The Black List has really hurt this one in the ratings. The plots have been really thin and there are some pretty major plot holes for certain. Josh Holloway is likeable in the role, but it won’t survive on Monday. We’re only 3 episodes in and I catch this one onDemand when I can, usually a week late.

Person of Interest
If you aren’t watching this show, why the hell not? Person of Interest is one of my top 5 shows on TV at the moment. It’s in its third season and shows no signs of slowing down. This one is highly recommended.

We dedicated an entire ESO podcast episode to Person of Interest. Give ESO episode 182 a listen here.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Yes, I watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Yes, I like it. Yes, I know it could be better. I hate to start off a review that way, but it seems like those are the questions I get most often. I like the show. I understand that there are a lot of folks who don’t. I’m not one of them. I was excited to hear the announcement of upcoming characters Sif (from the Thor movies), Lorelei (from Thor comics), and Deathlok. Exciting times ahead, I think.

Justified
If you aren’t watching this show, why the hell not? Like Person of Interest, Justified is one of my top 5 shows on TV at the moment. Based on characters created by Elmore Leonard, Justified is a nice mix of modern day western and crime drama. This one is highly recommended.

We dedicated an entire ESO podcast episode to Justified. Give ESO episode 198 a listen here.

Arrow
If you aren’t watching this show, why the hell not? Like Person of Interest and Justified, Arrow is one of my top 5 shows on TV at the moment. Based on the DC Comics character Green Arrow. Arrow is part Jason Bourne, part Batman Begins as we follow Oliver Queen and his team as they go after the bad guys in Starling City. We also get flashbacks to Oliver’s time on an island after a shipwreck five years earlier, which is just as riveting a storyline as the modern day stories. This one is highly recommended.

We dedicated an entire ESO podcast episode to Arrow. Give ESO episode 195 a listen here.

NCIS/NCIS: Los Angeles
Technically, these are two separate shows. Both have been on for some time now and both continue to be high on my to watch list. Both are highly recommended although I give NCIS: LA a slight nod because it is a bit more actio-oriented whereas NCIS is a bit more procedural, but both are great fun to watch.

Major Crimes
The Closer spin-off just concluded its second season (9 seasons for most of the characters who were on The Closer). This is a good cast and the stories are entertaining. Season 3 kicks off in the summer.

Helix
We’re four episodes in and I have no idea what’s going on. I’m giving it one more before I cut this one loose.

Grimm
Another great show that is a lot of fun to watch. It’s a nice mix of sci fi, fantasy, and super hero, with some horror tossed in for good measure. There is definitely a Buffy/Angel vibe to the series, which is not a bad thing at all.

White Collar
White Collar is a fun heist/con show on USA. The chemistry between the two leads really propels this one as FBI Agent Peter Burke and con man Neil Caffrey work together to catch bad guys while Caffrey tries to pull side deals and swindles. This one is fun.

Nashville
I am not a country music listener, but for some reason this show grabbed me. I can’t explain why I like it, but I do. My guess it’s those characters. I like seeing what they get into next. Plus, I love stories about creative people trying to make their mark in their field of interest.

Elementary
Yes, I like Elementary. Yes, I also like Sherlock. Like Star Trek and Star Wars or Deep Space Nine and Babylon 5 before it, there are so many that seem to think you can only like one or the other. I disagree. Each show is uniquely its own and I am thankful for that. Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Lui as Holmes and Watson are great together. Adding the New York setting and a clever twist on Moriarty that I didn’t see coming has made this one a must watch.

Doctor Who
The Doctor just wrapped up the 50th anniversary with departing Doctor, Matt Smith. I love this show. The 50th anniversary special and subsequent celebrations was one of the highlights of 2013 for me. I’m excited to see what peter Capaldi does with the role when it returns later this year.

That’s probably a good place to stop. WOW. I watch a lot of TV.

I’ll try to do more posts to keep you updated on the cool shows I’m enjoying. I’ll also talk about these things on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, The ESO Network Facebook Group, and the ESO podcast. Please, connect with me on social media as well.

Bobby


No comments: