Friday, November 2, 2012

A BLAST FROM THE PAST!

Art/Colors: Jeff Austin

Pencils/Colors: Nash. Inks: Austin
Over at his blog, artist Jeff Austin shared a couple pages of art he drew from a story I wrote that featured the adventures of a super-powered character code-named Onyx. Onyx and her team would go on amazing adventures, generally with a supernatural or pulpy theme. She was part Wonder Woman, part Indiana Jones and I had a blast writing a four issue mini series for the character.

Unfortunately, only the two pages below were produced. They're pasted below.

Click on images for a larger view.

ONYX "Incubus" Page 1. Art: Jeff Austin

ONYX "Incubus" Page 2. Art: Jeff Austin
Below is the script for these two pages. I can’t believe I had 8 panels on page 1. That’s something I would never even think about doing today. In an odd coincidence, I recently used elements of the Onyx plot as part of a story I wrote for one of Moonstone Books’ upcoming anthologies featuring pulp hero, The Spider. No good ideas are ever wasted.

ONYX "Incubus" Page 1. Story: Bobby Nash

ONYX "Incubus" Page 2. Story: Bobby Nash
Jeff and I did re-team on the character a little later for a comic strip for a local kid’s magazine (mid to late 90's, maybe?). This time I handled the writing and the pencils and Jeff served as inker, although embellisher might be a better word. My pencils were very rough. Jeff decided to leave the strip so I wrapped up the story a little faster than I had originally planned, but I think it was a fun story. I love comic strips and would love to do more. If only I was a better artist.

A total of 21 strips were created and they are pasted below. I'll also add them to the Free Stories Tab above. Click images for larger views.


Onyx comic strip #1. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #2. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #3. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #4. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #5. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #6. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #7. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #8. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #9. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #10. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #11. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #12. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #13. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #14. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #15. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #16. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #17. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #18. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #19. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #20. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin

Onyx comic strip #21. Story/Pencils: Bobby Nash. Inks: Jeff Austin
I hope you enjoyed this jaunt down memory lane as much as I did. Oh, and make sure you visit Jeff Austin's art blog at http://pencilbrushblog.blogspot.com.


Bobby

No comments: