Saturday, July 6, 2013

KILLING YOUR DARLINGS...

Preach it, Calvin.
Not a bad writing day.

I started off by doing that most time honored writing tradition-- I cleaned my office. It really needed the attention, but for now the desk is free of clutter. Wanna place bets on how long that will last?

Once I started writing, I took a break from my Fight Card Books story, "Barefoot Bones" and started work on the opening for my next project, a novel that a publisher is waiting for featuring a new character called Abraham Snow. More on him later, although I did make a quick and dirty placeholder cover, which you can see to the left. "Barefoot Bones" is a period piece that takes place in the 1950s. Today, I just wasn't feeling the 50s today and needed to spend a little time in the modern world so I switched over to "Snow." This is one of the big advantages of working on multiple projects at the same time.
Write faster!

I wrote a couple thousand words, which is good. Then I cut half of them out of the manuscript, which worked for the story if not my productivity. I'm reminded of the advice about how, as a writer you have to "kill your darlings" from time to time. Cutting words is hard. No writer likes doing it because they probably took a while to get them on the page to begin with. At least for me. It's a necessary evil though. You have to do what's best for the story and in this case I cut out a lot of information that, while relevant to the story, slowed it down. I'm sure some of this information will work its way back into the story later on, but having it on page one was too much of an info dump so it had to go.
Oh well. For now, I'm calling it a night now.

Will dive back into the story tomorrow.

Sweet dreams.

Bobby

No comments: