Thursday, November 8, 2012

BIRTH (AND DEATH) OF THE MONSTER PART 1

Over on his blog, artist Jeff Austin shares another blast from the past, and sadly, another project that never quite got off the ground. Ladies and gentlemen, meet... The Quagg!

From Jeff’s blog:
In the late 90's, Bobby and I decided to create our very own swamp creature. Everybody should have their own swamp creature, don't you think? So Bobby wrote some stories up, and I....thumbnailed the first one....and then.....the pile of unrealized dreams got a little higher. Sigh...Anyway, here are the first five pages of layouts for...the QUAGG!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Jeff.

The Quagg was a fun concept. There was obviously some Swamp Thing/Man-Thing influences in there, but I thought the story was pretty good. I wrote 4 stories at 10 pages each because we, if I recall correctly, we’re planning to use this for an anthology, much like Little Lamb and Black Sheep. In fact, they may have been for the same anthology idea. The memory is a bit fuzzy on that.

I’m also posting the script below. According to the script, this was written in 1999. In those days I did not write full script. I wrote the panel breakdowns and then the script after seeing the art. I’ve merged the two for this blog post.

I hope you enjoy The Quagg.

Bobby

As always, click on the image for a larger view.

THE QUAGG (Art by Jeff Austin)
The Quagg page 1 - thumbnails by Jeff Austin

The Quagg page 2 - thumbnails by Jeff Austin

The Quagg page 3 - thumbnails by Jeff Austin

The Quagg page 4 - thumbnails by Jeff Austin

The Quagg page 5 - thumbnails by Jeff Austin
THE QUAGG (Script by Bobby Nash)
The Quagg page 1 -Script by Bobby Nash

The Quagg page 2 -Script by Bobby Nash


The Quagg page 3 -Script by Bobby Nash

The Quagg page 4 -Script by Bobby Nash
The Quagg page 5 -Script by Bobby Nash




No comments: