Sunday, September 11, 2016

THE WRAP UP-- DRAGON CON 2016!


This was one of my best years at Dragon Con yet. I know I say that every year, but somehow this amazing convention seems to outdo itself each and every year and this one was no different. This year marked Dragon Con's 30th Anniversary and my 28th Dragon Con. Looks like I discovered it two years late, but my parents wouldn't let me attend anything like a convention until I graduated high school. In 1989, that happened and I've not looked back. My 2nd convention was my first Dragon Con.

Dragon Con 2016 was a year of change with a new building added, changes made to where certain programming tracks were located, the parade was shown on TV (thank you, CW 69), and there was a boost in attendance by about 7,000 people.

It's a Bobby sandwich with my pals
Van Allen Plexico and Bobby Politte.
For the past few years, I was at the show as an attending professional. That meant I wasn't a full guest, but I was there and I did many panels and events. It was a fun, full, exhausting good time. This year, I was surprised to be invited back as a guest of the Comics and Pop Art Track, which meant I was given a table in Artist Alley. I still did panels, but far fewer than in years past.

My 2016 panel schedule looked like this:
-------------------
Title: Playing in Someone Else's Sandbox - Writing Licensed Fiction
Description: It’s not uncommon for an author to continue the legacy of a universe that already exists. In this panel, authors who have written licensed fiction will share details on how they’ve survived working within existing canon.
Time: Friday 1:00 p.m. Location: 204 A - Mart2 (Length: 1 Hour)
(Tentative Panelists: Andrew E.C. Gaska, Bryan J.L. Glass, Bobby Nash)

This was my favorite panel of the weekend, especially once Bryan J.L. Glass joined us. He's a funny guy and had us laughing in hysterics with his story about writing a Thor tie in for Burger King. I'd not met Bryan or Andrew before, but both were nice guys. The panel was moderated by my friend, Jami Jones, who did a great job keeping us on track.
-------------------
Title: Graphic Novels--Ride the Tide
Description: The fiction world is exploding with graphic novels. Take this opportunity to hear what successful writers in this genre recommend to help new writers break into the field.
Time: Sunday 2:30 p.m. Location: Embassy CD - Hyatt (Length: 1 Hour)
(Tentative Panelists: Chandra Free, Bobby Nash, Andy Runton, Lee Martindale)

Always fun talking comics. I had a great time chatting with Andy and Chandra about how they go about putting their comic book stories together. Big fun and a fairly large crowd.
-------------------
Title: Secret History: Bet You Didn’t Know It Happened That Way!
Description: Our alternate history authors and experts describe that variety of tales where the public and world at large have no idea what really happened behind the scenes. Many authors have written in the sub-genre. Classic short stories and novels will be discussed.
Time: Monday 1:00 p.m. Location: 204 J - Mart2 (Length: 1 Hour)
(Tentative Panelists: Bobby Nash (Moderator), Anthony Francis, Eric Flint, Kacey Ezell)

I moderated this panel, which means most of the time I shut up and let the experts talk. This was a fun panel and the first time I've moderated a panel without actually being on the panel. An interesting experience.
-------------------

Representative John Lewis signs March.
The rest of the time during the day was spent at my table on the third floor of America's Mart Building 2 in the Comics and Pop Art track, which is run by Thom Trainor and his team. They do a great job taking care of us and keeping Artist Alley running smoothly. Over the weekend I met a lot of people unfamiliar with my work who picked up books, saw lots of friends, did some panels, took lots of photos, met some talented creators, checked out the cool costumes and, most importantly, had a fantastic time. What more could one ask for? This is truly my favorite con of the year and I hope they have me back again next year.

Click on Read More to see all of the photos I took at Dragon Con 2016. Also, search social media using #Dragoncon or #Dragoncon2016 for more photos from the event.
Click for larger images.


Badges? We don't need no steenkin' badges!

Tiki Zombie cosplay.


Oh, Eric Dotson, you got some 'splainin' to do!








John Lewis' line.

A green meal.

I voted for this guy.

I had to be carried away after hearing J.R. Mounts puns. Thanks to Chris Collins and Eric Dotson for saving me.

Me and you and a pickle named Q.

With my buddy, Debra. Love her and her husband, Mac. Such great people.


Taskmaster.

Tiki Zombie barrell top. Somebody won this.



The gopher from Caddyshack was at Dragon Con along with his puppeteer.

Line wrapped around the building on day 1 for vendors and comics.


My table.


Artist Marlin Shoop. This was his first Dragon Con.

Well it's about time. Inside joke. Move along.


He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him.


Holy Crap! An empty tunnel.

With awesome dude Danny Hunter!

Wanna buy some books?


View from behind my table, sitting down edition.

Some of the most awesome people I know. Love these guys.



My wonderful con-neighbor, artist Bianca Roman-Stumpff.

This was me waking up day 1 after only 4 hours of sleep. I might be getting too old for this.

Lilandra and Venom.


Houligans, the lot of 'em.

Late night costume repair.


Q.



My table.

Tiki Zombie's Mike Gordon and Peter Cutler.

Free Arcade.

crowds.





Peter Cutler sketching

80's Fantasy Movies panel

Lady Blackhawk

Monday morning. Fewer crowds out early.




Was reminded that Domino Lady Money Shot (the big seller of the weekend) was originally titled Head Shot!

Art by Bianca Roman-Stumpff







Breakfast with a view.

Even managed a little writing in the few down moments I had.


Squash goes the spider.


M... M... Ma... Max H... Headroom!

Looks like a lot, but...

It all packs up into this.

And into the car.



See you next year!







No comments: