Sunday, September 21, 2014

DRAGON CON WRAP UP!

Better late than never, huh?

I am way behind on getting stuff posted. My apologies for that. As always, Dragon Con was amazing. This is easily my favorite con of the year for many reasons. I have been a part of Dragon Con longer than any other con. This was my 25th Dragon Con. In addition to being a fun con to work, it’s almost like a family reunion of sorts. There are some fantastic people that I only see once a year in Atlanta and that happens at this con.

This year’s Dragon Con took place, as usual, over Labor Day weekend in Atlanta, GA. I arrived on Thursday, August 28th and left on Monday, September 1st. Apologies in advance for the photo quality. All I had was my phone and it does not take the best photos.

Here’s how my panel schedule broke down this year.
-------------------
Title: Ghostbusters: 30th Anniversary of Mass Hysteria
Description: This panel will remind us of when you tried to drill a hole in your head.
Time: Thu 10:00 pm Location: M303-M304 - Marriott (Length: 1 Hour)
(Tentative Panelists: Dr. Scott Viguié, Debbie Viguié, Bobby Nash)

I wasn’t expecting much out of a Thursday night panel, but I think we were all surprised by how many people showed up to listen to the panelists talk Ghostbusters. The room was full, standing room only and they were a lively bunch. Definitely a great way to kick off the con.
The Ghostbuster crowd as they started to file in. Soon: standing room only.
-------------------
Title: The Many Faces of Pulp
Description: Pulp Fiction has many faces. From gritty crime fiction to even the deepest depths of space or the far-flung future. This discussion covers it all.
Time: Fri 04:00 pm Location: Augusta 3 - Westin (Length: 1 Hour)
Moderator / MC for panel
(Tentative Panelists: Van Allen Plexico, James R. Tuck, John G. Hartness, Cherie Priest, party crasher: Andrea Judy. Bobby Nash: moderator)

This was a fun one. We talked about our pulpy interests and fielded questions from the audience. This is a great group of panelists. We were never at a loss for words and there were a lot of laughs.
Pulpsters: James R. Tuck Jr., Bobby Nash, Van Allen Plexico
-------------------
Title: Podcasting Authors Roundtable
Description: Join a roundtable discussion of working writers who utilize podcasting to distribute and promote their work.
Time: Sat 10:00 am Location: 203 - Hilton (Length: 1 Hour)
(Tentative Panelists: Bobby Nash, Dr. Pamela L. Gay, Jay Smith, Michael Stackpole, Scott Sigler)

Podcasting Authors. I was talking about doing the audio for Ghost Gal here.
I wasn’t sure what to expect from this panel. I learned a lot from the panelists about the way they use podcasting to get their books and stories out there. The panel was live streamed on-line and you can watch it yourself by clicking here. Or watch it below.


-------------------
Title: Airwolf: Nothing Is More Airwolf Than Airwolf
Description: On its 30th anniversary, explore the awesomeness of the high-tech 80s TV helicopter.
Time: Sat 02:30 pm Location: M303-M304 - Marriott (Length: 1 Hour)
(Tentative Panelists: Bobby Nash, J.C. De La Torre, Archangel)

This was another panel that surprised me with the size and excitement of the crowd. We even had 3 people cosplaying Airwolf characters, which was pretty darn cool. I recorded the podcast at the request of some international Airwolf fans on Facebook. You can listen to it here.

The new Airwolf flight crew.
-------------------
Title: Reading: Bobby Nash
Time: Sat 04:00 pm Location: Marietta - Hyatt (Length: 1 Hour)

As much as I like to talk, I am not a fan of reading my work aloud to groups. In this case, I managed to avoid reading because there were only 2 who showed up and we had a nice discussion about writing and books instead, which I really enjoyed.

I love this placard so much I asked if I could take it home with me.
-------------------
Title: Pulp Fiction
Description: Pulp has made an extraordinary comeback in recent years. We discuss what and why.
Time: Sat 05:30 pm Location: Embassy A-B - Hyatt (Length: 1 Hour)
(Tentative Panelists: Bobby Nash, Van Allen Plexico, Milton J Davis)

Two pulp panels this year. Both Van and Milton are friends of mine so we had a great time riffing off one another as we talked about various topics, including our books, the tropes of pulp stories, research, and how technology impacts the way we tell stories. We had a great audience and they had some really good questions. I believe Van taped this panel for an upcoming episode of his White Rocket Podcast. I’ll let you know when it becomes available. No photo from this panel, unfortunately.


-------------------
Title: Autograph Sessions
Time: Sun 01:00 pm Location: International Hall South - Marriott (Length: 1 Hour)

Set up my table and sold books for an hour. Met some interesting people. It was a fun time. Wish I could have been set up longer than an hour, but it was a great hour.
Wanna buy some books?
-------------------
Title: Building a Podcast Network from Scratch
Description: Ever though of building a podcasting network? We'll discuss the pros & cons of building a network, talk growing pains, and share success stories.
Time: Sun 02:30 pm Location: 203 - Hilton (Length: 1 Hour)
(Tentative Panelists: Bobby Nash, Michael Gordon, Mike Faber)

Building a podcast network panel.
I joined my ESO Network co-hosts to talk about podcasting. It was a fun panel and the only panel I got to share with Mike Faber and Mike Gordon over the weekend. As with all of the podcasting track panels, this one was live streamed on-line and you can watch it if you click here. Or you can watch it below.


-------------------

Title: "V-Wars: Vampires Everywhere!"
Description: Behind the scenes of Jonathan Maberry's V-Wars universe.
Time: Sun 07:00 pm Location: Peachtree 1-2 - Westin (Length: 1 Hour)
(Tentative Panelists: Jonathan Maberry, James A. Moore, and James R. Tuck)

I was recently added to IDW’s V-Wars anthology so V-Wars head honcho Jonathan Maberry invited me to join the panel. Scott Sigler and Keith R A DeCandido were also on the panel. We talked all things V-Wars from the creation of the shared world to the anthology series all of the panelists are part of to the comic book series, upcoming TV series, and board game. This was another fun panel with a great group of panelists and great audience participation.

-------------------
Title: Six Million Dollar Man: 40 Years in Slow Motion
Description: Honoring the Bigfoot-size superstars of 1970s TV.
Time: Mon 08:30 am Location: M303-M304 - Marriott (Length: 1 Hour)
(Tentative Panelists: Alan Gratz, Bobby Nash, Dr. Scott Viguié)

My final panel of the weekend was also my earliest morning of the con. I was a bit surprised that so many others were up so early for an 8:30 a.m. panel, but we had a great discussion of all things Bionic, including a touching story from Dr. Scott Viguié.
Talking Six Million Dollar Man early on a Monday morning.
Also, during the convention was the Annual ESO Network Meet ‘n Greet. This informal event was held next to the pool at the Sheraton in concert with Pin-Ups By The Pool. We had a nice turn out and some cool conversations as we sweltered in the Georgia summer heat.

Meet the ESO Network
At the ESO Meet 'n Greet. Or, as we liked to call it, The ESO Sauna.
On Sunday night at 10 pm I met up with the ESO crew for another annual tradition as we recorded an episode of The Earth Station One Podcast live at the con. You can hear it here.

ESO LIVE at Dragon Con!
I met several new people at the con as well as talked with friends and colleagues (far too numerous to try and mention them all, but you know who you are), did a little shopping, checked out some fantastic costumes, and just generally geeked out with about 80,000 or more of my closest friends. All in all, Dragon Con 2014 was another great year.

I’m ready for Dragon Con 2015.

Bobby
Click on images for a larger view.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Dragon Con 2015 will be here before you know it.
Thanks for another great year.


No comments: