Saturday, October 19, 2013

WHEN THE LIGHT BULB BURSTS!

You ever start writing a scene that you aren't really sure of how it impacts the overall plot, but it's what the character wants to do, so you follow and it turns into a very important scene? I just did that. Ah, the magic of writing. I love it when that happens.

I just wish these light bulb writing moments didn’t wait until 4:30 a.m. to burst wide open.

Oh well, sleep is overrated, I suppose.

Here's a sample from tonight's work. I'm working on an ebook novella called Snow Falls. This is all firsdt draft so it might change before it reaches readers. I'll have more on this project soon.

In this scene, Abraham Snow and Owen Salizar, a suspect terrorist sympathizer and all around bad guy, run into one another hours after Snow saved Salizar and his entourage from an assassin's bullet.

#####

“Is it not amazing how easily we humans are able to push past tragedy and continue on about our lives, Agent Snow? I mean, a man lost his life on this very spot and yet they…” Salizar pointed toward the men and women sipping their drinks, laughing, and telling stories. “They move about as though nothing out of the ordinary has happened.”

“As you said, it’s human nature. We have this uncanny ability to move beyond tragedy and get on with our lives. It'’ kind of heroic when you think about it.”

“Have you had any luck tracking down the person who tried to kill me?” Salizar asked.

“Not yet. I have my people working on it.”

“I’m sure you do.”

Snow finally turned to look at the suspected terrorist. “So, knowing that the person who wants you dead is still at large, you thought it would be a good idea to take a little stroll? That doesn’t seem very smart.”

“I refuse to live my life in fear, Agent Snow. I will not become a prisoner in my room because a coward is unhappy with me.”

“I cannot guarantee your safety down here.”

“And I have not asked you to do so,” Salizar said. “My security has been taken care of already. There is no need for you to worry about me.”

“Oh, I can’t help but worry about you, Salizar,” Snow said. He grimaced the second the words passed his lips. He did not want to let this man push his buttons. “It’s my job,” he added.

“So you say. It is strange you phrased it like that.”

“Oh? Why is that?”

“I am a man of resource. I had my people run a security check on you, Agent Snow.”

“Very thorough of you. I take it you found something you’d care to discuss.”

Salizar laughed. “Something like that, yes. It seems that there is no record of you working for Homeland Security prior to today. How can that be?”

“Clerical error, maybe?” Snow smiled.

“Yes. I’m sure that must be it. Good night, Mr. Snow.”

“Good night.”

#####

'night.

Bobby

No comments: