Monday, June 18, 2018

IT WAS THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS...


28 years ago. WOW. That was the longest summer between seasons and still one of my favorite cliffhangers ever. "Mr. Worf... fire." Still gives me chills. As a writer, I learned a lot from this episode. Michael Piller poured a lot of story into part 1's 45 minute run time.

Bobby

Repost trekmovie: #OTD 1990: #StarTrek #TNG Season 3 ends with one of the best cliffhangers in TV history, "The Best of Both Worlds" Part I. #ResistanceIsFutile #LongestSummerEver

The one big problem I have with the second episode of this two-parter. It's this exchange:

RIKER: Lieutenant Worf, everyone in this room shares my respect for your service to this ship. But right now, I need your experience at tactical. Commander Data, I realise your very nature omits ambition. Nevertheless, I want you to know I seriously considered you first officer. 

DATA: Thank you, sir. 


RIKER: But this is not the time for change. I need you all where you are, where Captain Picard always relied on you. I have been, reluctantly, forced to conclude that Commander Shelby, our expert on the Borg, is an ideal choice at this time for first officer.


Not the time for change? I can't imagine a better time to move people into new jobs. Picard already knows what they can do where they are now. Moving them around circumvents a big piece of Locutus' knowledge of the enemy.

That part always bugged me a bit.

Otherwise, this is an outstanding two-parter. If you haven't seen it, it's great. It also makes for a good double feature when paired with the Star Trek First Contact movie.



No comments: