Tuesday, June 25, 2013

SOMETIMES I GET ASKED STUFF…


Coming Soon.
On occasion I get asked a question or two about writing, what I’m working on, marketing, etc. Thought I’d share a few I received this week and the answers I gave.

How do you deal with writer’s block or getting stuck for a story point?

I generally step away and do anything else, doesn't matter what as long as it's not writing. Take a walk, mow the lawn, clean the kitchen, or go for a drive. I find that once I stop focusing on trying to solve whatever story point has me stymied then my brain can start working on it at its own speed. That usually does the trick.

Sometimes working on a different story can help as well.

#####
Now available.

How do you make a horrendously evil bad guy likeable?

For me, it all starts with character. Get to the know the character first, before the evil part. If you can find one thing to like about the character then you've created a hook for the audience to connect with that character. He can be a psychokiller, but perhaps he has a soft spot for children and helps children or charities. Give the character something that makes him or her human. Even the most vile villain doesn't think of themselves as the villain. What they're doing makes perfectly logical sense to them.

#####

How do you deal with bad reviews?
Still available

Just ignore it (easier said than done, I know) and move on.

That's the easy answer, of course. You never want to argue with someone who gave you a bad review. That never ends well. If you decide to converse with the reviewer, tell him or her that you're sorry that the story wasn't to their liking then thank the person for taking the time to read your work and to write a review.

#####

What are you currently working on?

Where to begin?
Coming soon

I'm working on a story for Fight Card called "Barefoot Bones." I hope to finish it this week.

At the same time I'm also working on several short stories for a project I signed on to do last week that I can't talk about yet.

I closed a deal for an audio project over the weekend, which I can't quite discuss yet either. I'll start on those in a week or so.

I also just made a deal today with a publisher for an ebook novella due in August. Sadly, can't really discuss details on this one either.

After that, I have a Honey West/Domino Lady novel on tap to write for Moonstone.
Sequels to both are in the works.

And then I get back to the Evil Intent novel and a few shorts on my schedule.

Suffice to say, it's been a weird last couple weeks with these offers coming in (which I'm proud to say came to me as offers). It's going to be a busy year, but I like it.

#####
Coming 2014

Thanks to all who asked questions, I hope the answers were helpful.
Right now, it's time for me to get back to work. Deadlines loom.

I hope everyone is having a great week.

Bobby


2 comments:

R.T. Ewell said...

So I see you are doing a Honey West collaboration. Oddly enough I have become a fan because of Me Tv, I have no idea why I like it but I find myself watching it late at night on saturdays.

Sounds like you got a lot of good things going on! Congrats, Bobby!

BobbyNash said...

Thanks, Richard. I love Honey West. The show is great. I also love the comics. I have the novels as well and will be digging deeper into them soon. I love being able to read a novel and call it research. :)

I've got the plot in place and I think it's going to be fun seeing an older Domino Lady meeting up with Honey West.

I should start writing in sometimes around August, if all goes to plan (he says sarcastically).

Bobby