Saturday, August 1, 2020

HAPPY SPIDER-MAN DAY TO THE CHARACTER WHO GOT ME HOOKED ON COMICS!


I hear today is #SpiderManDay so to celebrate, here's how I met the wallcrawling superhero.

My first introduction to Spider-man was reruns of the '66 cartoon that I watched after school. Fun stuff. I still hear Paul Soles' voice whenever I read a Spider-man comic. Of note and completely off topic, but I love that Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Hermey from Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer are voiced by the same guy. I was today years old when I learned that fun little fact.

After loving the series, I ran across Spider-man comics int he checkout of Zayre (a supermarket chain no longer with us) in the 70's and they had a 3-pack with 2 Spider-man comics (you couldn't see the third one, though we tried) and after much begging and pleading, convinced my mother to buy them.


Inside were Amazing Spider-Man issues 192, 193, and 194. I still have these issues today. From there, my love of the character grew and I continued reading Spidey's adventures until around 2008 when I stepped away from the title. I count myself fortunate to have met Marv Wolfman, the writer of these three issues, and Jim Mooney, the inker and tell them how much their work on these issues meant to me. They made me a comic book fan. Sadly, I have never had the opportunity to meet Keith Pollard, the penciller. Maybe one of these days.

Happy #SpiderManDay Spidey, old pal!

Bobby




No comments: