Thursday, December 17, 2020

LOST IN TIME...



Isn't it funny how memory works? I owned this Big Little Book called The Incredible Hulk "Lost in Time" when I was a kid. I hadn't thought about it in years. The memory of it was wiped out. Then, I happened across an ebay auction for it and not only did the memories of the story by Don F. Glut and the art (uncredited, but I'm fairly certain it was by Herbe Trimpe) come flooding back to me, but also where I bought it and how much bargaining and begging it took to get my parents to pony up the 79 cents to buy it at the K-Mart in Doraville, GA. They were not big fans of my reading comics, even though this is technically a novella. The memory is crisp and sharp as if I was standing there in that store again. It's kind of like time travel, in a way, which is funny because the story in this book is about time travel.

I won the ebay auction (thank you, Coliseum of Comics in Orlando) and now this piece of my comic-loving history is once again mine. It cost a little more than 79 cents this time around, but was absolutely worth every penny. Even H.E.R.B.I.E. the Muse approves.

As a writer, I often wonder if my work imprints on readers this same way. It definitely makes me think.

Bobby

No comments: