Monday, November 2, 2020

A HISTORIC TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE...



When I was in high school, there was a plan to restore the Kilgore Mill Covered Bridge, a historic covered bridge off Tanner's Bridge Road in our county. I was tasked with drawing a postcard that would be sold to raise money. It was an honor to be part of it and the bridge was restored to its original glory.

Sadly, the bridge burned down a short time later and was never rebuilt. I did a second drawing later. At one point, the postcards were in the local museum. That was cool. I assume they are still there. I 
still have the original. Maybe I should donate it to them too.

Yesterday. I visited the bridge for the first time since high school. It's sad to see it as a burned out skeleton. The weird part was that I remember the river being wider. Funny how memory works, huh?

It was a nice trip down memory lane. I remember the excitement of being part of this movement to save the old bridge. It was especially thrilling to be asked to contribute the artwork for the postcards.

Bobby
The original fundraising postcard. 1986, I believe.


Before and after.

The second postcard.

Me posing with my framed postcards.

My framed postcards.


No comments: