Friday, June 28, 2013

BUSY IS GOOD, RIGHT?

Not a bad day at the office. Sent off two pieces to their respective editors (neither one I can say much about as yet), updated websites, and added a bit more to my Fight Card novel, "Barefoot Bones." Here's a taste of today's work:

Not Actual Cover
#####

“Are you familiar with boxing?” Father Tim asked me.

“Yes, sir,” I said without taking my eyes off the ring.

“But you’ve never seen an actual boxing ring?”

“No. The men back home did their boxing on the hardpack,” I said. “Dirt,” I added off his confused look. “They had a ring behind Mr. Jenkins’ barn.

A few of the other boys snickered, but Father Tim ignored them. “Well, you’re in luck then, Bones. This is one of the nicest square circles you’re likely to find outside of professional sports.”

“Square circle?”

He laughed. “Just an expression. I’m not sure who started it, but it’s a nickname of sorts.” He moved his fingers to draw an imaginary square in the air. “You see it’s square and we call it a ring, which are usually round. So it’s the square circle.”

It sounded silly to me, but I didn’t want to tell him that. “Makes sense,” I said instead.

#####
Writing boxing scenes is tougher than you might think.

I need to do a few thousand words tomorrow to stay on track, but as it's 3:30 a.m. it's probably a good time to go to bed.

'night all.

Bobby

No comments: