Wednesday, October 24, 2012

WHAT’S MY (FIRST) LINE?

I saw a couple of authors post the first lines from their stories today on Facebook and I thought it was an interesting idea so, not one to let a good idea go to waste, copied the idea with the first lines from some of my prose work. It was an interesting experiment, I must admit. I’m not sure what it tells you about my work, other than that I usually start my stories with a short sentence, but I found it an interesting peek behind my thought processes when it comes to opening lines. I’m sure my short first lines is a result of writing so many pulpy action/adventure stories, but I like it when stories hit the ground running and I think that shows in these first lines.

I kept the list to published prose. There were a lot of interesting lines that I couldn’t share yet because the books haven’t been released yet. Perhaps I’ll update this list down the road.

So, without further ado, and in no particular order (because I was too lazy to do that), here’s a list of the first lines of my prose stories. Enjoy.

EVIL WAYS
“FBI! Do! Not! Move!”

EARTHSTRIKE AGENDA
Axapta Three was little more than a barren rock.

FANTASTIX: CODE RED
Where were you when it happened?

DEADLY GAMES!
Francis Chalmers moved quickly down the corridor.

WITH EVIL INTENT
“Do we have a go?”

LANCE STAR: SKY RANGER “Where The Sea Meets The Sky”
Lance Star did not see the attack coming until it was too late.

LANCE STAR: SKY RANGER “Homefront”
This is too easy.

LANCE STAR: SKY RANGER “Open Range”
Archibald Davis ached all over.

RAVENWOOD: STEPSON OF MYSTERY “Jazz”
Even from a distance the music was mesmerizing.

THE RUBY FILES “The Case Of The Wayward Brother”
Richard Ruby was having one of those days.

DOMINO LADY “Target: Domino Lady”
Jimmy Dugan had big dreams.

SECRET AGENT X “Mountain Men Of The Lost Valley”
Alexander Lienen sidestepped a hail of bullets.

FULL THROTTLE SPACE TALES: SPACE SIRENS “Just Another Saturday On Outpost Nine”
Erin Moonshadow felt the cold shroud of apprehension when she woke Monday morning.

SAMARITAN
“Contact!”

SENTINELS: ALTERNATE VISIONS “The Road To Hell...”
Karl Koenig was having a bad day.

BLACKTHORN: THUNDER ON MARS “The Minefields Of Malador!”
It happened all at once.

A FISTFUL OF LEGENDS “Shadows on the Horizon”
Doc Brand felt the rocks bite into his knees as he hit the ground.

TALES OF THE ROOK “Where There’s Smoke...”
The Rook walked into the trap.

THE NEW ADVENTURES OF THE EAGLE “Lights! Camera! Sabotage!”
He moved under cover of darkness.

GOLDEN AGE GOOD GIRLS: MOON GIRL “Blood Moon”
The fire burned brightly.

GREEN HORNET CASEFILES “A Thing of Beauty”
“Do we have an agreement?”

THE GREEN HORNET: STILL AT LARGE “The Gauntlet”
“Anyone here?”

Okay, okay, you convinced me. Here’s a sneak peek at the first line of the upcoming novel, Evil Intent. Don’t say I never did anything for you.

EVIL INTENT!
“We interrupt this program for an important announcement.”

And there you have it. If any of these first lines make you at all curious about the stories, please click on the novel or short story links above and feel free to pick up some books (if you’ll forgive the shameless self promotion).

Let’s hear from you. What do you like to see in the first line of a story or novel?

Happy reading.

Bobby


No comments: